Wednesday 19 December 2012

Goodbye!

My contract ends at the end of the month and I finished at work yesterday. 2012 has been a memorable year for many of us and I am no exception.

As well as enjoying the Games I have had a great time going to events and winning various Olympic related prizes, including a Wenlock two weeks ago at the Podium legacy conference. I got two of the three winners of SPoTY correct and what an amazing line up that was! Next year's programme may seem pretty flat after this.

I am sad to say goodbye to colleagues, but I am happy with what I achieved and all the people I met. Four years ago I could never have imagined all the things that would happen to me.

A year ago I believed the Games would be great, but I could not have imagined just how successful Team GB would be or how much the public would enjoy it all.

Could Games Makers have thought that they would still be wearing their uniforms and being invited to events four months after the final Closing Ceremony? I bumped into two after the London conference two weeks and how that cheered me to see them! Perhaps we should ask them to dress up and turn up in central London every now and then to remind us how great it all was!

At the Legacy Conference what was clear was how high a bar London has set for those following behind, not least on recruiting and training volunteers. We take it for granted that people volunteer, but that isn't the case in every country. Glasgow 2014 isn't expecting recruiting to be hard!

London 2012 learnt a lot from Sydney. Others are learning from us.

Will there be legacy? Of course there will, and not all of it will be what we expect now. We need to look back in four years time and judge it then.

No comments: